[jsr-314-open] [jsf2.next] WITHDRAWN Proposal to support newsemantic HTML5 tags

Martin Marinschek mmarinschek at apache.org
Tue Dec 15 20:29:28 EST 2009

Hi guys,

there is two sides to the new tags: one is CSS support, second is
accessibility. For me, the more important part for now is that we keep
up with the latest standards in the realm of accessibility. Now there
is something that we can do which all browsers as of today already
support: we should implement the WAI-ARIA extensions, which add
exactly the same semantic value as the proposed HTML 5 tags will do
(with WAI-ARIA you can do more).

However, markup created with WAI-ARIA attributes won't be valid
(X)HTML as of the current versions of these specifications. We ought
to still support it, to allow our users to build accessible
web-applications.

regards,

Martin

--