[jsr-314-open] [jsf2.next] Proposal to support newsemantic HTML5tags

Jason Lee jason at steeplesoft.com
Tue Dec 15 10:26:36 EST 2009

On 12/15/09 9:18 AM, Ed Burns wrote:
> Though I'm delighted to see all the traffic on this topic, I have to
> weigh in and oppose adding many more tags.  The design focus of JSF
> views has always been to mix template text and components.  In my
> opinion, this is widely seen as a strength for server-side UI
> technologies such as JSF.

I think I agree with Ed here.  At first, I thought adding a plethora of
new tags might be a good idea for those case where you might want to
interact with that particular DOM element on the client using various
JSF facilities.  I think, though, the concern of an avalanche of tags
might be off-putting, actually feeding into the complaints from some
camps (I'm looking at you, Wicket people :) of tag soup.  For those
cases where you do need access to a DOM element, "wrapper" components
(such as the now-and-sadly-defunct Woodstock's webuijsf:markup:
|<webuijsf:markup tag="div" style="color:blue" /)| would probably
suffice.  Granted, it doesn't look as intuitive on the page, but in... I
forget how many years of doing JSF, I've rarely needed such a component.

--
Jason Lee, SCJP
President, Oklahoma City Java Users Group