[jsr-314-open] [jsf2.next] WITHDRAWN Proposal to support newsemantic HTML5 tags

Roger Kitain Roger.Kitain at Sun.COM
Tue Dec 15 10:34:20 EST 2009

Imre Osswald wrote:

> While I see the benefit of components that will provide
> semantical/structural information about the view, I don't think we
> need every HTML(5)-tag as a component but rather tags, that are able
> to represent the structure of a document in a more abstract way. Also
> I don't think renderkit authors would be thrilled to see that many new
> standard components they would have to support in case we add every
> possible HTML-tag. (But we could probably ask both ;) )
>
> As I don't think we will be able to come up with a tagsoup that will
> cover 80% of the needs of users and renderkit developers, a possible
> way to give for example early adaptors of HTML5 a simple solution,
> would be to make composite-component libraries "renderkit(mode)" aware
> and a simple way to declare/match these modes. So a compcomp author
> could provide two (or more) libraries with implementations of
> <my:nav>, which will translate depending of the user-agent/outputtype
> to either <nav>, <ul class="nav"> , <pdf:toc>, ... effectively
> creating different view files for different presentations, agreeing on
> the coupling of presentation and view files with Lincoln.

If we had to choose I would prefer to stay away from creating new
components for this use case.

Ed Burns wrote:

> SL> We might have agree to disagree, the "name of the tag created" does
> SL> make the whole difference imho, it's not just about how it look.
>
> Though I'm delighted to see all the traffic on this topic, I have to
> weigh in and oppose adding many more tags.  The design focus of JSF
> views has always been to mix template text and components.  In my
> opinion, this is widely seen as a strength for server-side UI
> technologies such as JSF.

I do remember in the JSF 1.0 development days some EG members thought
the direction should be to use JSF tags/components in the view (only).
But times ahve certainly changed, and I do agree that template text and
components is a very nice combination.

-roger