[jsr-314-open] [jsf2.next] WITHDRAWN Proposal to supportnewsemantic HTML5 tags

Simon Lessard Simon_Lessard at dmr.ca
Tue Dec 15 10:00:44 EST 2009

IO > (But we could probably ask both ;) )

For MyFaces it would be pretty easy as we use a Maven plugin to generate most of the artifacts and all those new Renderer would be incredibly similar and small. As for other renderkit kits for the h:* out there, they could simply associate them with a BlockRenderer and InlineRenderer in their faces-config's render kit declaration until they decide to make them more evolved.

IO > make composite-component libraries "renderkit(mode)" aware

I don't get what's the effective difference between that suggestion and making the default render kit agent aware instead and/or provide 2 render kits and make a better use of the calculateRenderKitId method. I don't think we're giving enough thought and putting enough effort in "pluggable render kit" idea. Such strategy could probably be used as well to handle JavaScript degradation more seamlessy and elegantly as well. If we standardize the agent awareness mechanism and find a way to know its effective capabilities (that last one is harder, especially for sciprt support though... the script would most likely have to send a secodn request on the server to notify it that script are indeed suppotred on the client). Anyway, even if the specification itself makes no use of that information(for now) , more advanced frameworks could exploit it and switch between rich/standard, HTML 4.01/5 and do what you can (IE)/do anything (all others) modes.

Briefly, I don't think the specification itself should abuse of the composite component, those should be mostly for the end users to ease the component creation, I don't really think the specification implementors nor library vendors require that reduced complexity that come with a small performance overhaul.

Regards,

~ Simon