[jsr-314-open] first post on jsr-314-public

Dan Allen dan.j.allen at gmail.com
Wed Dec 16 19:09:49 EST 2009

On Wed, Dec 16, 2009 at 5:49 PM, Lincoln Baxter III <lincolnbaxter at gmail.com
> wrote:

>  I'm fine with explaining that it's there for voiced opinions, but tell me
> again, is this something that will be resolved and synced to a mailing list
> once we get all of that sorted out?

I'm not quite sure what you are asking. Could you clarify the question?
Sorry, maybe just too much egg nog (wait, it was Ed that was drinking the
egg nog).

> What is the expectation we'd like to set?
>
>  The public forums serve two purposes:
>
> 1. To allow the public to notify us of a deficiency in the spec, or submit
> a feature request
>
> 2. To allow community members to discuss amongst themselves
>

> A few thoughts:
>
> #1 - I'm not sure. Should we just point them to the issue tracker? That
> would streamline the process, however limiting public visibility to the
> initial discussion, and I like discussion.

I think just like jsr-314-open, we vet the idea for a post or two on the
forums before doing an issue report. We also do that with Seam and it seems
to cut down the number of bogus issue requests.

> #2 - Sure.
>
> Any others?
>
> The key is really to give them a place they can post and for them to know
that the comment is posted to a place where it will "get to the right
people". The main reason I advocate for this forum over java.net or
elsewhere is that posters are 100% sure who is checking those forums. There
should be no mistake as to who reads the jcp.org forums. Members of the JCP
and EGs. They can put down their swords and start talking.

Registered Linux User #231597