[jsr-314-open] getting behind CDI

Dan Allen dan.j.allen at gmail.com
Sat Dec 19 19:53:12 EST 2009

Jeremy,

Perhaps one of the first things we should do is update the "Get Started" on
> www.javaserverfaces.org to show both options.  This would require both a
> Weld archetype (which I think you've been working on?) and one for Spring 3
> (I could work on providing one).

We must have been on the same wavelength because that's exactly what I was
working on while you were writing back. I've split the page into three
parts, explaining that there are three "packages" so to speak. I've left the
Spring section open. If you want to fill that in with an archetype of your
choice, that would be great. I've granted you edit access. (You have to
tolerate the painfully slow Google Sites editor. It takes some patience to
tame the bullets).

We can clean up some of the text throughout the page, I was just throwing
down some structure quickly.

> Agreed, in this particular example, I would not recommend this approach.
>>  What about @ViewScoped though?  That's one of the more useful pieces of JSF
>> 2 in my opinion.  I don't believe there is an out-of-the-box CDI-equivalent,
>> right?  I would assume it's not hard to implement a custom @ViewScoped that
>> CDI would recognize?
>>

> There isn't a CDI equivalent of @ViewScoped in the CDI spec, but Weld/Seam
> will be providing a portable extension, hopefully getting weaved back into a
> revision of the spec. We shouldn't have to revert to
> @javax.faces.ManagedBean just to get this feature.
>

> Right, and we can provide a similar extension in Spring, but I'm wondering
> if we can find some sort of shared approach...

..

To be fair, we aren't yet providing any out-of-the-box implementations of
> JSR-330's @Scope other than the @Singleton that is required by by the spec.
>  Maybe this is an opportunity for further collaboration, outside of the
> scope of the EG.  It would be really cool if we could establish a single
> common and complete set of scope annotations as portable extensions usable
> in both Seam and Spring...I'm not entirely certain yet how technically
> feasible this would be...just something to think about.

Sounds like an action item for collaboration in 2010!

> I'm glad that we can communicate with friendly exchanges and I always look
> forward to getting your perspective. Frankly, I think that's what defines
> this EG, as Andy so elegantly pointed out in his blog.
>

> Indeed, it is quite refreshing to be able to have such discussions without
> things degenerating into TSS-style bickering.  As can seen by taking a look
> at some of the arguments on the JSR-330 list, for example, EG's are not by
> rule free of such nonsense.  I am thankful for your open-ness and for Ed and
> everyone else's roles in fostering such an environment, and look forward to
> seeing it continue.

+1

On that note, Happy Holidays and New Year. I'm looking forward to 2010!

Registered Linux User #231597