[jsr-314-open] An observation on where we should focus attention

Werner Punz werner.punz at gmail.com
Mon Dec 21 04:12:22 EST 2009

a) The import part, the import only once facility would be nice, but does it
really matter in as jim pointed out, first there is the browser cache,
secondly
almost all libs have a double import blocker in its code which check for
already existing data structures under their namespaces.

b) Double import of different versions, same problem scenario, which in my
opinion has to be handled on the library side not on the JSF side.
The library has to ensure that a double import of different versions cannot
happen, and to my knowledge the big libs do.
Is it really our problem? This introduces overhead and in the end we can
only
cover some libraries (probably the most popular ones)

b) as for general framework interoperability, and which kid is the most
popular on the block

Actually I would not want to go into the jQuery/Dojo whatever wars at all,
JSF2 did the necessary steps to isolate itself from other libraries to a
huge degree, but it is outside of the scope of jsf to avoid for instance
namespace conflicts inflicted by third party libraries.

Lets give the an example here
the famous $ operator overloading some libraries which I do not want to
mention here do, they intra collide with each other they basically are bad
neighbors in a well behaved neighborhood by turning on the Ghetto blaster
full force to get their own sound for their own 4 walls.

But does that anything have to do with the JSF2 implementation, Id say no,
if you move into such a neighborhood, then you are on your own regarding
those things.
I do not even think there is a single thing we can do on our side to ensure
the well behavior of the javascript libraries used on the javascript side,
all we can do is to behave well in our domain so that others wont get
interference from us, which already has happened with the OpenAjax
namespaces.

I am not even eager to start a discussion here, which library is better or
which one is going to win and we have to watch more thoroughly!

To come to a conclusion, I personally see bigger things which have to be
resolved for the ajax part of JSF2.1 than trying to solve problems which are
not really our construction site.

Ie. finally introducing different transport layers so that we can handle
file uploads, combined with that maybe comet support,
better handling of the ResponseWriter on the server side in an ajax case.