[jsr-314-open] Meeting minutes from EG face-to-face at Sun's SF office post-JavaOne

Pete Muir pmuir at REDHAT.COM
Thu Jun 11 16:21:28 EDT 2009

As I understand it, the problem here (especially with the Servlet
spec) is that there is no limiting which jars can contain annotations,
so every class must be checked. There are various optimizations you
can do (the obvious one is to exclude all known library jars which
don't contain annotations). NB this isn't such a problem with 299 as
it carefully limits which jars need to be scanned.

You can do a centralized annotation scan using a vendor specific SPI
which each container using the implementation will implement (we will
do something like this for Web Beans), but there is definitely value
in standardizing an API for this for the whole of EE (I guess EE7 now)
which can be used for portable frameworks.