[jsr-314-open] aggregating tag libraries under a common namespace

Dan Allen dan.j.allen at GMAIL.COM
Sat May 16 13:18:44 EDT 2009

I have often encounter the situation where I want to append a tag to an
existing library to avoid having to introduce a new namespace and, as a
result, a fine-grained division of tags. However, currently, the mapping is
such that you get one tag library per taglib.xml file. More than one
taglib.xml, more than one tag library. Would it be possible to have the
implementation detect two taglib.xml referencing the same namespace and
merge the tags? Obviously, a startup exception would occur if the same tag
is declared in more than one file with the same namespace, but I hardly
think that would be much of an obstacle to the developer.

To cite a specific use case, we want to have multiple modules in Seam, but
we really don't want to have more namespaces than we need. Of course, we
could get the build to merge the XML files, but that might not be possible
if the developer is deploying the framework as separate JAR files.

http://in.relation.to/Bloggers/Dan

NOTE: While I make a strong effort to keep up with my email on a daily
basis, personal or other work matters can sometimes keep me away
from my email. If you contact me, but don't hear back for more than a week,
it is very likely that I am excessively backlogged or the message was
caught in the spam filters.  Please don't hesitate to resend a message if
you feel that it did not reach my attention.