[jsr-314-open] data payload for ajax calls

Jim Driscoll Jim.Driscoll at SUN.COM
Sun May 24 19:50:13 EDT 2009

On 5/24/09 10:58 AM, Dan Allen wrote:

> Honestly, in looking at the demo you cited, I can't possibly resolve why
> you would want to use a property called "name". To me, the word "status"
> wants to come to mind. I really think you could get away with a single
> property, status.
>
> status could be: begin, complete, success, error
> Then you have errorCode instead of overloading name. Just get rid of
> type and name and use status instead.

That was one iteration of the proposal I made, IIRC (the second
iteration, after my massively overcomplicated first try).  So it's not
as though I disagree with you.  As I recall, I was the only person who
advocated that position, though, so there may be folks who disagree with
you on that...  IIRC, the motivation behind the final form was splitting
out errors and events somewhat more than making error just a kind of event.

It's a shame that this discussion is coming up after the spec is final
though.  If only there had been some group of people responsible for
reviewing the spec before it went final to catch this sort of thing,
some sort of Group of Experts....

But now that the spec is final, that seems like a rather large change to
make in an errata.  The kind that could really mess folks up if they
were relying on the current behavior.

Jim