[jsr-314-open] AJAX library in JSF 2.0

Dan Allen dan.j.allen at gmail.com
Sat Sep 12 22:31:36 EDT 2009

> This makes me worry that none of the major JSF UI component libraries will
> be using the built-in AJAX library because it doesn't have enough features.
>  Will JSF 2.1 complete the AJAX functional requirements of RichFaces and
> IceFaces?

We will both advocate for vendors to use the built-in Ajax library and
gather feedback as to where it is limited so that we can improve on it. Jim
Driscoll has done a lot of work with the Ajax API and would likely be able
to comment further.

> Can anyone comment on how the JSF 2.0 AJAX library compares to other major
> Java web frameworks?  Is it on-par, ahead of, or behind other web
> frameworks?

It is certainly more conservative simply because we don't want to dump in
the kitchen sink and then regret it after the fact. However, I know that the
Ajax interaction itself is very clean, simple and should be very
straightforward for most developers to understand. Again, Jim's blog is
likely the best resource to get a feel for how this Ajax library is used for
you to judge for yourself.

> -----
>
> Another question I have is about hiding managed beans from views.  If I
> were to build a JSF 2.0 application that lets users customize the screens
> with themes/skins, I would not want them to be able to access any and every
> scoped bean in the system.  To have this level of control I might need to
> use a web framework that gives me more control such as Struts 2, because it
> uses Freemarker and/or Velocity.

I'm really not sure I understand what you are getting at. Why does
Freemarker or Velocity give you more control over bean access?

> Have you heard of anyone mixing JSF with Freemarker?

I talked to a developer at JBoss World that was interested in creating a
module that would cater to this integration. But nothing concrete at this
point. I can say that the whole idea of the VDL is to encourage other view
languages to emerge.

Registered Linux User #231597

http://in.relation.to/Bloggers/Dan