[jsr-314-open] AJAX library in JSF 2.0

Pete Muir pmuir at redhat.com
Mon Sep 14 06:21:06 EDT 2009

On 13 Sep 2009, at 22:53, Jim Driscoll wrote:

>> I hope that AJAX4JSF is modified so that it builds on top of the JSF
>> standardized APIs instead of being a complete replacement for them.
>
> That's something that can best to achieved by their customers
> lobbying the AJAX4JSF people.
>
> AFAIK, there's nothing to stop them specifically from adopting the
> current API set - other than their reluctance to rewrite an existing
> codebase.  But that's based on the one link that you sent on - you'd
> have to ask them directly if that's true.

Essentially this is the opposite of the RichFaces 4 plan (I agree, the
comment that this discussion is based on is ambiguous at best). Just
like ICEFaces, we intend to build RichFaces 4.0 on top of the JSF 2
Ajax API. I've asked Jay (RichFaces project lead) to blog in detail on
this to clear up the confusion :-)

 From initial discussions with Alex, my understanding is JSF 2 Ajax
will account for around 70% of what was in Ajax4JSF (which IMO just
validates how complete JSF 2 Ajax is!). The remaining 20% has not been
specified (not ready yet, or no consensus or ...), and will be built
as extensions on top of JSF 2 Ajax.

HTH