[jsr-314-open] Autoupdate / always render

Jim Driscoll Jim.Driscoll at Sun.COM
Mon Sep 14 09:03:45 EDT 2009

So, I got a chance to discover more about RichFaces today, attending a
tutorial by Max Katz.

Autoupdate can also be thought of as "always render" - it's the process
of marking out certain id's to always be rendered on any ajax request.

I can now say that, no, we don't support autoupdate functionality -
while a page author doesn't really need this functionality, it's
possible to imagine a use case for it as a component library author -
and in that case, while there's hacky things you can do to almost get
there, it won't really be possible with the existing APIs.

Since in an earlier message, I said that I wasn't aware of anything in
particular that couldn't be done with the API, well, here's one use case.

Adding such an API would be pretty easy:

void jsf.ajax.addAlwaysRender(String id)

I'll file a spec RFE for this (there seems to not be one!), but I was
wondering:

What's the context/history behind this not being included in JSF 2.0?
Can anyone elaborate?

Jim

P.S. Filed bug 629 on this topic.