[jsr-314-open] revisiting the JSR-314 openness policy

Andy Schwartz andy.schwartz at oracle.com
Wed Sep 23 14:13:02 EDT 2009

Hey Roger -

Thanks for your efforts in tracking this down.

Roger Kitain wrote:
> They also said that the older jsr-314-open messages could be injected
> into this forum so we
> would not lose anything.

That's great news!

> I'm still awaiting specific
> details about the new process and what we need to do to rectify the
> situation, but it may mean
> we change from jsr-314-open to jsr-314-public.  I will let you know as
> soon as I find out more.

Taking a look at the following info from the jcp site:

http://jcp.org/en/introduction/intro#boards

We have access to a 3 discussion boards:

>     * jsr-xxx-public: this is a board to which any registered user can
> post. Some Expert Groups may choose to use these boards for their
> primary communication on the JSR's development. As an alternative to
> viewing the long list of all boards, you can also get to a given JSR's
> public board by clicking the "jsr-xxx-public" link on the JSR's
> summary page.
>     * jsr-xxx-observers: this is a board to which any registered user
> may request to be added, to which the JSR's Spec Lead and experts are
> automatically subscribed. Some Expert Groups may choose to use these
> boards for their primary communication on the JSR's development, while
> still others may use it as a mechanism for providing updates to the
> particularly interested members of the community. To request to be
> added to a JSR's observer board, use the Observers board request form
> to ask to be added to the board.
>     * jsr-xxx-eg: this is a board that is private to the Specification
> Lead(s) and Expert Group members for that JSR. Some Expert Groups may
> choose to use these boards for their primary communication on the
> JSR's development, using the others as mechanisms for community updates.

Seems like we would want to perform the following mapping

jsr-314-comments is replaced by jsr-314-public.
jsr-314-open is replaced by jsr-314-observers.
jsr-314-eg stays the same (which is not really in use at this point).

Note that there is some degree of email support available:

> Using the boards via e-mail
> Many Expert Groups wish to conduct their communications primarily
> through e-mail. Both the observers and EG-private boards also generate
> e-mail messages. This allows the people using those boards to choose
> to use either the board's web interface, or just to interact with the
> board via e-mail, where it functions like a standard mailing list, or
> some combination of the two. For instance, if you are on the Expert
> Group for JSR 500, you could send mail to jsr-500-eg at jcp.org. This
> message would be distributed to everyone else on the Expert Group via
> e-mail, as well as being entered in the discussion board for future
> reference.

But apparently no email love for jsr-314-public.  Roger - any chance you
could raise this limitation with your jcp contact?  Ideally we would
like email access to the public forum.

Andy