[jsr-314-open] Spec clarification: features not available in JSP

Andy Schwartz andy.schwartz at oracle.com
Thu Sep 24 11:25:33 EDT 2009

Gang -

Taking a look at the following thread from the MyFaces dev list:

http://markmail.org/thread/ykjmdu6ehdqpxyq7

I am concerned that this is an indication that we haven't been clear
enough about what is supported in Facelets vs. JSP.  After all, if the
MyFaces guys (who spend a lot of time in the spec) found this confusing,
it seems likely that our average users will too.

I believe that the spec does specify that no new features/tags have been
added to JSP tag libraries.  However, I had a hard time tracking this
down... Can anyone provide me with a section #?

I would like to propose two other steps that we should take to make sure
that this is clear:

1.  Let's update the spec to state specifically what functionality (down
to the tag/tag library level) is not supported in JSP.

It is possible that this information is already present, but if not, I
would like to see a section that contains a list of all of the new tags
that were added in JSF 2 that are specific to Facelets (ie. not
available in JSP).

2.  Let's update the Facelets PDL docs to identify tags that are not
present in JSP.

For example, the PDL doc for f:ajax should state that it is not
available in JSP.

Do these sound like reasonable changes?

Personally I think it is important to clarify this (ideally in the next
MR) as we have  a large (potentially soon to be confused) user base of
JSP users looking to upgrade to JSF 2.

Andy