[jsr-314-open] [jsf2next] PROJECT_STAGE system property configuration

Dan Allen dan.j.allen at gmail.com
Fri Jan 8 00:03:21 EST 2010

> I've been hearing "appserver", but would the "Java EE Umbrella Spec" be
> enough to bring this behavior to servlet containers? The last thing we want
> is to create another thing that appservers provide, that servlet containers
> do not. We still need ProjectStage to make it into the Servlet spec,
> explicitly, in order to bridge that gap, right? Is that an accurate
> assumption?

My position on this is that the whole idea of using a "servlet container"
needs to go away. We need a more robust foundation for what we deem
"minimal" in the Java EE world so that we can inherit things such as project
stages. That's why I believe that the web profile (or perhaps even an even
lighter profile) needs to be the foundation. A servlet container isn't
anything in Java EE. It's not defined. It is just an implementation of a
couple of specs which is not defined as a group anywhere in the Java EE
platform. The web profile is that grouping (well, it's damn close to what
servlet containers are).

So the question really needs to be, do project stages apply to all profiles?
And I think the answer is yes, it should be possible to set the stage at the
container level of whatever hosts your profile.

Registered Linux User #231597