[jsr-314-open-mirror] [jsr-314-open] New anti-JSF blog entry: http://facemetal.wordpress.com/2010/07/19/jsf/

Martin Marinschek mmarinschek at apache.org
Wed Jul 21 03:31:32 EDT 2010

Hi Ed,

well, well - he basically counters JSF´s abstraction from HTML, which
doesn´t make sense with the history in mind (in 2003 things didn´t
look so HTMLish in the web-world, a lot of possible options for future
development were there this is (I believe) why JSF was built the way
it was built).

As of now, HTML seems to be set as the one and only future in the
webspace. So, he is somewhat right with this.

However, I don´t think the abstraction adds a lot of "paperwork" for
anyone in the real world using JSF 2.0, he is not right about this
point.

I don´t understand his rant against the lifecycle - I do think we need
this lifecycle, and if I would rebuild a web-framework from ground, I
would include the same (or a similar) lifecycle again. It doesn´t make
sense to do all this conversion and validation stuff in the
application space.

His rant against names is totally incomprehensible - what does he mean by that?

The stuff which is still lacking from JSF, which he partially mentions:

- back button support
- double click handling
- pretty URLs

we should definitely address that at some point of time.

And: something he mentions I also think is not really good is the
"global" managed bean scope. It would be good to have a way to let
managed beans live only in a reduced, page (or conversation) visible
scope.

But, generally: You cannot live without being loved and being hated by
at least someone, I guess...

best regards,

Martin

--