[jsr-314-open-mirror] [jsr-314-open] This mailinglist is horribly broken and we must migrate it

Ed Burns edward.burns at oracle.com
Fri Mar 19 15:42:15 EDT 2010

I spoke with Max Lanfranconi today and he shared that the root cause of
all of our problems with our mailing lists is a shortage of human
resources.  As the only full time Oracle person that is officially
entirely devoted to the JSF spec and implementation (Roger and Ryan
officially have other responsibilities), I understand how this feels.
He enumerated the items in their queue and our issues will be the first
to be resolved.  I will continue with my plan to have a conversation
with Eduardo Pellegri-LLopart about this next week.

SECTION: ACTIONS TAKEN

The following actions have been taken right now to address the problem
Dan has been raising and continues to raise.

1. Audit of existing LISTSERV jsr-314-open web interface subscriptions
resulted in a few-additions to the mailman jsr-314-open list (the actual
one that processes the list).  It should be current now.

2. I have edited my blog entry that introduced the jsr-314-open list

http://weblogs.java.net/blog/2009/03/04/response-call-fix-jcp-oberver-status

and removed the links to the LISTSERV web interface.

3. I have posted a new blog entry describing the interim process for
subscribing/unsubscribing.

SECTION: ACTIONS PROPOSED

The following actions have not yet been taken, but I propose we take
them.

1. I propose the following trivial changes to the javaserverfaces.org
front page.

* "Key Links" area retitled as "Key Links and Information"

* In the "Key Links and Information" section, delete the bullet item starting
  with "Expert Group (EG) Mailinglist & Archives".

* In its place add the following text

  "To subscribe (read-only) to the official Expert Group (EG) mailing
  list on which the development of the JSR-314 Specification (JSF 2.0)
  is discussed, send an email to list-request at jcp.org with "SUBSCRIBE
  JSR-314-OPEN" in the subject line."

  This is just an alias that forwards to max at jcp.org.  This is an
  interim solution.

* Add a bullet below the previous one.

  Those wishing to earn posting permission to jsr-314-open must join the
  [Extended Expert Group|link to javaserverfaces.org's expert group
  page.] The best way to join is to make yourself known to one of the
  existing EG members who can petition the EG for you to be added as an
  Extended EG member. In general, you'll need a good reason for being
  accepted to the Extended EG. Having lots of experience with and
  passion for JSF certainly helps.

2. Take down the LISTSERV web interface for jsr-314-open at jcp.org.  The
   only value the web interface has is to enable searching the
   jsr-314-open at jcp.org mailing list BUT ONLY FOR CONTENT BETWEEN LIST
   CREATION AND JUNE 2010!  I think that this is of little value and
   only confuses things.

3. Someone has to figure out how we can import all the
   jsr-314-open at jcp.org emails from list creation until now into an
   external list tracker, such as gmane.  I estimate I have about 90% of
   the emails ever sent to jsr-314-open at jcp.org in my archive.  Can I
   somehow insert them into a gmane list mirror, and then subscribe the
   mirror to jsr-314-open?

ACTION: Please voice any concerns with these proposed actions by noon
PDT Monday 22 March 2010.

Thanks,

Ed