[jsr-314-open-mirror] [jsr-314-open] status of <composite:clientBehavior> (was Re: "for" attribute for <f:ajax>)

David Geary clarity.training at gmail.com
Mon May 3 16:12:42 EDT 2010

2010/5/3 Leonardo Uribe <lu4242 at gmail.com>

> Hi
>
> In myfaces we don't have <composite:clientBehavior> tag. The reason is that
> we don't know which attributes this tag has, how it looks like or where
> there is some example.

I am working on an article for ibm devworks where I give an example of
<composite:clientBehavior> -- I can send you the article if you want, let me
know. Anyway, here’s the core of my example. First, an icon composite
component:

    xmlns:h="http://java.sun.com/jsf/html"

    xmlns:f="http://java.sun.com/jsf/core"

    xmlns:composite="http://java.sun.com/jsf/composite">

    <composite:interface>

      <composite:attribute name="image" required="true"/>

      <composite:actionSource name="link" targets=
"#{clientId}:iconForm:link"/>

      <composite:clientBehavior name="click" targets=
"#{clientId}:iconForm:link"

                               event="action"/>

    </composite:interface>

    <composite:implementation>

       <h:form id="iconForm">

      <h:commandLink id="link" immediate="true">

        <h:graphicImage value="#{cc.attrs.image}"/>

      </h:commandLink>

      </h:form>

    </composite:implementation>

The <composite:clientBehavior> tag specifies the name of the event (click),
the target(s) for the event (#{clientId}:iconForm:link), and the component
event (action).

The preceding markup is in resources/util/icon.xhtml, so you use an icon
like this:

        <util:icon id="minus" image="#{resource['images:minus.gif']}">

          <f:ajax event="click" render=":readout :fontPreview"/>

          <f:actionListener for="link" type="com.clarity.DiskIconListener"/>

        </util:icon>

For the click event in the icon, JSF makes an Ajax call to the server, and
when the call returns, it renders readout and fontPreview components. The
click event is associated with the action event of the target (the link).
So, when an action event occurs in the link, JSF send an Ajax call to the
server.

> In theory it works like <composite:actionSource>, <composite:valueHolder>,
> <composite:editableValueHolder>.

I pointed this issue multiple times (really a lot of times but it seems
> nobody took that seriously). Just take a look at:

> http://markmail.org/message/dxlpoa3qgul7uuns?q=composite:clientBehavior
>
> As soon as any documentation is available on mojarra javadoc I'll do the
> necessary stuff on myfaces.

This really needs to be addressed asap, so the feature does not become
Mojarra-dependent, which greatly limits its usefulness. Besides the javadoc,
it needs to be mentioned in the spec.

I think whoever documented the composite library should come forward and
update the PDL docs and spec. And if Ed won’t do it, I might help out. :)

david