[keycloak-dev] Landing page

Gabriel Cardoso gcardoso at redhat.com
Mon Jul 22 11:36:25 EDT 2013

Regarding the issue https://issues.jboss.org/browse/KEYCLOAK-3, I was thinking about the scenarios. Maybe creating a realm is an unnecessary step from the user's perspective. I can imagine cases where the administrator will just want to manage one application. However, creating a realm may be useful in case of more than one application, if I understand properly. See the scenarios:

#1: Jared is accessing the application for the first time. He wants to set up the login for an application he is working on.
After logging in, Jared sees the "Overview" page that shows he has not set up any applications yet. Jared click the button "Set up a new application". On that page, Jared set up things like the application name, the user permissions and the social login. As an advanced option, he sees that if he wants to use the same information for more applications, he can create a realm. Since he just want to deal with one app right now, he skips this option.

#2: Jared wants to manage multiple applications.
Jared has already set up an application and wants to manage another one with Keycloak. Since this second application is related to the same group of users as the first, he wants to create a realm. After logging in, he sees the "Overview" page, with a list of applications, and the options to "Set up a new application" and "Create a realm". Jared clicks this button and, in the realm creation page, selects the option to fill in the fields with the application data he has already set up. Jared fills the other fields and create the realm. He is redirected to the "Overview" page that now shows his applications and realms. He clicks "Set up a new application" and associates it with the realm that he has previously created. Jared finish filling the form and the set up is done.

Does this make sense?

Gabriel