[keycloak-dev] examples/distro reworked/improved/finalized PLEASE TRY!

Bill Burke bburke at redhat.com
Fri Jan 10 11:05:07 EST 2014

On 1/10/2014 10:27 AM, Marek Posolda wrote:
> On 10.1.2014 15:23, Bill Burke wrote:
>>

>> On 1/10/2014 5:51 AM, Marek Posolda wrote:
>>> Just a small note that there is a typo in
>>> https://github.com/keycloak/keycloak/blob/master/examples/as7-eap-demo/README.md
>>>
>>> in step1. For EAP 6.x it should be "keycloak-eap6-adapter-dist.zip" when
>>> currently it talks about "keycloak-as7-adapter-dist.zip" .
>>>

>> Good catch.
>>
>>> Another possible good thing would be to have "quickstart" appliance for
>>> everything bundled in single ZIP (wildfly server with auth-server,
>>> datasource, adapters, test-realm installed and all examples deployed).
>>> This will enable possibility for users to start really quickly playing
>>> with Keycloak without need to import realm in admin-console and
>>> build/deploy examples with maven. Of course, this may not be possible if
>>> examples will be moved to separate repo.
>>>

>> That's a *REALLY* good idea.  I'll do that.
>>
>> BTW, not sure about your addition to CDI yet to one of the examples.
>> We will be trimming down the Wildfly distro in the near future and CDI
>> will be one of the subsystems that will be removed.
> oops, I did it this way as you asked for it:-) You mentioned CDI or
> Spring in another thread.

I didn't think it all the way through, its my fault.  We can re-use the
file configuration stuff though you did.

> So not sure what to do? I am seeing options like:
> - Left the original "third-party" example and convert my stuff into
> something like "third-party-cdi" example. This example won't be part of
> WildFly appliance distribution, but IMO it can be just in WAR
> distribution as this is used for people, who want to add examples into
> their own AS7/Wildfly and so we can assume that it will be full
> AS7/Wildfly with support of CDI and JSF.

That works.

> - Example won't be part of keycloak codebase, but it will be in separate
> repo. This assumes that we will have separate repo with
> examples/quickstarts as suggested by Stian in another mail.

Not sure about a separate repo for examples.  Examples tend to change
and evolve as you do more releases so you'll want to bind them to a
particular release of keycloak.  Also requires an extra step from the
user to go to github and get them.  I also liked your idea of having the
demo pre-configured into the appliance so you can just run the demo out
of the box.

> So only thing to change in original "third-party" example will be the
> addition of JSON configuration, instead of hard-coded stuff in the code.
> But there will be still ServletOAuthClient kept as attribute of
> ServletContext. WDYT?

Or you could just rebuild ServletOAuthClient with every request and get
rid of the Listener etc.

Bill