[keycloak-dev] next-gen Keycloak proxy

Bill Burke bburke at redhat.com
Tue Mar 14 09:21:44 EDT 2017

On 3/14/17 4:21 AM, Marc Boorshtein wrote:

>     So nice of you to hijack the thread to promote your own product.
>     Not very professional.  Its a bit hypocritical of me to say this
>     as I've done it myself in the past and received a lot of crap for
>     it.    Now that its being done to my project I can see why people
>     get upset over it. This isn't the first time you've done this. If
>     you do it again, we'll remove you from the list.  I really don't
>     give a shit if you're a partner or not.
>

> I'm sorry, I don't see how this is "hijacking" a thread. I'm not
> telling a KC user "hey, use my project instead because XYZ".  I'm
> providing another open source option you could use as a starting point
> (and I did say "starting point").  Maybe you find it does a large
> chunk of what you are looking for and decide to fork it, maybe you
> look at it and get some ideas, maybe you find that you want to use
> some different approaches because you have different ideas as to how
> this problem should be solved.  If I remember correctly in your last
> thread on this topic you explicitly asked for the community's help to
> build this out because you didn't have time.   Its no different then
> when someone has said to me on other lists "we do it XYZ way, you
> should take a look" and I do because if someone else solved the
> problem I'm trying to solve why wouldn't I look at their solution?.
> Thats not hijacking, thats open source.
>
> I brought up being a partner as working with components not built by
> Red Hat was something you called out in both threads as being an issue
> with mod_auth_oidc.  I also do my best to be transparent because I
> don't want people to think I'm trying to sell them something in every
> discussion.  My company name and title is in every email I send and I
> don't use a generic email account so there's no question.
>
> I could go on, but I don't wish to continue to clog up this list with
> a non-technical discussion.  My apologies if you or anyone else on
> this list was offended, it was not my intention.

I also don't want to drag this out, but I know the difference between
hijacking and collaborating.  I've been doing open source development
full time for 16 years straight now on many popular open source projects
with tons of contributors and users.  So please don't lecture me on what
open source is or isn't.