[keycloak-dev] server-config-migration

Marko Strukelj mstrukel at redhat.com
Tue Oct 10 06:26:59 EDT 2017

I've been looking at server-config-migration tests a little so I have some
thoughts on this.

As a criteria - most elegant solution is for our migration scripts to
perform the minimum necessary migration operations. I think we only target
these scripts for keycloak server distribution - not overlay - thus we have
full knowledge of what Wildfly version is underneath a specific Keycloak
version, and we can add all the necessary .cli commands to address
configuration changes due to Wildfly upgrade whould that be necessary. But,
AFAICT no explicit Wildfly upgrade is necessary because it happens
automatically in this scenario.

Our migration scripts presume latest Keycloak (not Wildfly) installation.
And what that means is that you already have all the underlying Wildfly
updates in place (i.e. modules) because latest Keycloak distribution
already contains them - except that you overwrite standalone.xml with old
one like you say. Wildfly subsystems are supposed to take care of their own
migration as far as configuration goes. Most of the work of
wildfly-server-migration tool, I believe, is to apply modules changes. Any
configuration updates as reflected in standalone.xml are delegated to
subsystems, and if they are not performed by migration tool, or
automatically by subsystems during offline migration, they are performed
automatically by subsystems the first time you start migrated Keycloak.

So, I don't think we need to concern ourselves with Wildfly to Wildfly
migration at all.