[keycloak-user] Keycloak Competitors

Jeremy Simon jeremy at jeremysimon.com
Thu Aug 11 23:46:02 EDT 2016

Hey John,

I had to do a bunch of research last year when we were looking for an
SSO solution for our apps.  Here's a list I came across on Wikipedia
at some point which really helped me understand a good range of stuff
out there: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_single_sign-on_implementations

We landed on Keycloak at the end because it was pretty no nonsense to
get off the ground and we were able to get a proof of concept
including coding our needed core customizations out the door in about
a week.

Prior to that, we wasted a lot of time with WSO2 Identity Server,
which seemed nice at the start.  Unfortunately the documentation was
not as good as it looked when it came to many important details, and
sadly we learned even though it was open source, that did not apply to
the most current security patches.  For us, they were touching areas
of code we needed to customize or patch (since they weren't totally
adherent to SAML standards).  So that would've been crazy money for
support and maintenance just to get the patch code... aside from that,
there were just weird quirks with it consistency-wise.  So it was back
to hunting and looking into things like OpenAM, Gluu Server,
Shibbolth, etc....  then I learned Red Hat had something other than
PicketLink... Keycloak crew, you really nailed it.  It's been in
production for months and totally reliable.

Anyway, hope the notes are helpful in someway.

jeremy
jeremy at jeremysimon.com
www.JeremySimon.com