[keycloak-user] Import / restore a custom required action

Guus der Kinderen guus.der.kinderen at gmail.com
Tue Jul 5 05:31:21 EDT 2016

Hello,

We have created a custom required action, in the form of a provider. It
appears to behave as expected (we're using Keycloak 1.9.2)

We are facing a challenge when trying to provision a new/empty server with
Keycloak. We are trying to install Keycloak, and restore a pre-existing
user base in it. Using the guidelines from chapter 25 "export and import"
of the manual, we're able to do most of what we'd like to achieve.

However, we're unable to restore users that have defined a required action
as provided by our custom code. When we start up Keycloak, and look at the
realm configuration for authentication, the 'required action'  is missing,
but can be registered. After we manually do that, everything appears to be
fine.

Is there a way in which we can have a registered custom required action,
without the need for manual intervention?

We've tried adding a JSON snippet to the 'requiredActions' array property
in the realm.json file that's being imported, but that does not appear to
have any effect.

An alternative would perhaps be registering the action through the REST
endpoint that appears to be available, but that would require us to start
Keycloak, before we've provisioned the users, which if possible, would be
pretty messy (we'd have to wait for Keycloak to have started, invoke the
REST endpoint, shut the instance down, and restart it with the user import,
as far as I can tell).

I'm hoping I'm simply missing an obvious option. Any help is much
appreciated!

Regards,

  Guus