[keycloak-user] "Test connection" in Realm Settings/Email fails

Bruno Oliveira bruno at abstractj.org
Thu Dec 14 06:41:54 EST 2017

That's really strange. I tested it right now just running:

docker run -e KEYCLOAK_USER=admin -e KEYCLOAK_PASSWORD=admin jboss/keycloak

And used my gmail credentials to test SMTP settings. Everything works
like expected. Including the "Test connection" button.

Anyways, please file a Jira and provide the steps to reproduce,
environment setup and etc. The more detailed, the better.

On 2017-12-11, Michael Kefeder wrote:
> Hi Bruno,
>
> Thanks for your quick feedback. The admin-user in the master realm that I am
> logged on as, has a valid email address, yes. While checking this I
> configured the demo realm, I still have it from following the keycloak
> documentation, with the same smtp settings I have in my Multiwave and
> master, and tried: In the demo realm sending emails (eg verify email)
> works...
>
> Visually there is no difference between the smtp configs, so I looked at the
> DB table realm_smtp_config, for the Multiwave and master realm there is an
> empty entry for "replyTo", which causes the problem. Don't know how that
> made it in there, I guess me playing around with the Test-connection button
> created that entry.
>
> Anyways, deleting the entry from the database AND reloading keycloak fixed
> the sending emails issue.
>
> The test-connection button does not work in any realm.
>
> I am now off to write bug reports.
>
> Am 11.12.17 um 15:51 schrieb Bruno Oliveira:
> > Hi Michael, does the current logged in user has a valid e-mail address?
> > This functionality assumes that there's a valid e-mail for the user
> > requesting it. Not sure if that's the case, otherwise file a Jira with
> > the steps to reproduce and I will try to look at this.
> >
> > On Mon, Dec 11, 2017 at 11:11 AM Michael Kefeder <mike at multiwave.ch
> > <mailto:mike at multiwave.ch>> wrote:
> >
> >     Hi List
> >
> >     I installed your official docker image 3.4.1.Final and sending emails
> >     from GUI "Users/$user/Credentials/Credential reset" failed with an
> >     exception, that can be seen in `docker logs` output:
> >     ERROR [org.keycloak.services] (default task-37) KC-SERVICES0088: Failed
> >     to send execute actions email: org.keycloak.email.EmailException:
> >     org.keycloak.email.EmailException: Please provide a valid address
> >               at
> >     org.keycloak.email.DefaultEmailSenderProvider.send(DefaultEmailSenderProvider.java:145)
> >
> >     I provided and saved a from-address in the Realm-Settings of course, so
> >     I started to play around a bit trying to find the actual problem. I
> >     found another issue: Klicking on the "Test connection" button in the
> >     Realm Settings/Email tab triggers a "Status Code 400 Bad Request". Seen
> >     in my javascript console (using Chrome and Firefox browser). It is a
> >     POST request, but the Request URL contains all posted data, looking
> >     almost like a GET request would, and therefore it includes the SMTP
> >     servers password(!?), not sure if that is intended as this could end up
> >     in a web-servers logfile. Looks like this (given URL is shortened):
> >
> >     http://127.0.0.1:6789/auth/admin/realms/Multiwave/testSMTPConnection/%7B%22password%22:%22**********%22,%22starttls%22:true,...
> >
> >     Here is the data I am POSTing (actual server/usernames changed to
> >     protect the innocent):

> [...]

abstractj