[keycloak-user] [keycloak-dev] Keycloak IE11 Support?

Václav Muzikář vmuzikar at redhat.com
Fri Nov 29 05:30:50 EST 2019

The original MS Edge was never broadly adopted (in fact, IE still has
higher market share [1]) and currently is kinda brain dead. It'll be
replaced by "Chredge", i.e. Edge based on Chromium. But it's still a tech
preview / beta and we expect no compatibility issues as it's basically
Chrome with different UI.

I believe IE is still used in many companies (which are often stuck on Win
7) even though it's practically a dead browser.

[1]
https://gs.statcounter.com/browser-market-share/desktop/worldwide/#monthly-201810-201910-bar

On Fri, Nov 29, 2019 at 11:24 AM Jan Lieskovsky <jlieskov at redhat.com> wrote:

> Hey Stan,
>
> On Thu, Nov 28, 2019 at 2:45 PM Stan Silvert <ssilvert at redhat.com> wrote:
>
> > Hi Keycloak Community,
> >
> > We are trying to make decisions around the future of the Account Console
> > on IE11 and we really need your feedback.
> >
> > As we move to modern UI development frameworks like PatternFly 4, IE11
> > support becomes more and more difficult.
> >
> > Do you or your customers require support for IE11 today?
> >
> > Do you believe that you will require support for IE11 in the next two to
> > three years?
> >

> Shouldn't we replace the focus to support / the time spent to support IE11
> with the
> focus to support MS Edge instead. AFAICT MS Edge seems to have capability
> to use new auth technologies (e.g. WebAuthn support-- blog
> <
> https://blogs.windows.com/msedgedev/2018/07/30/introducing-web-authentication-microsoft-edge/
> >,
> API landing page
> <
> https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/security/identity-protection/hello-for-business/webauthnapis
> >
> ),
> that IE11 doesn't have yet (the Q is if it will ever have it).
>
> Yet, per this ZDNet post
> <
> https://www.zdnet.com/article/microsoft-security-chief-ie-is-not-a-browser-so-stop-using-it-as-your-default/
> >,
> the message seems to be MS IE should be viewed at more like a compatibility
> solution these days, rather than a default modern browser to use.
>

> > Thanks for your help,
> >

> HTH
>

> > Stan Silvert
> >

> Regards, Jan
> --
> Jan iankko Lieskovsky / Keycloak / RH-SSO Team

Václav Muzikář
Senior Quality Engineer
Keycloak / Red Hat Single Sign-On
Red Hat Czech s.r.o.