[netty-dev] Problem during connection to the server which hangs the server

Frederic Bregier fredbregier at free.fr
Wed Oct 22 16:27:34 EDT 2008

Hi Trustin,

I've surely found the reason for the bad behaviour. My CPU was at 100%...
When I insert a wait in the jmeter scenario, so as to be below 80% of CPU,
everything is perfect. No error came out.

In the not pooled version (bind/close at each request), it is sensible,
but if I stay really under the 70%, I've got no problem.
If I go around 70 to 75% (cpu % updated every second) again I got the same
error around
a bit less than 2400 requests. (why this number is so magic?)
Then the server comes again at 100% CPU (of 1 CPU so 50% of the global PC)
with the same log and status in the JVM than my first message.
Again, it does not appears if less than 70% CPU.

The last point I found is that the ChannelException (failed to create a
selector)
in NioServerSocketPipelineSink is not throw or catchable by anything from
the user
code side since there is no channel created, so there is no execptionCaught
called).
So right now, when it comes up, I've just get a log from Netty, but nothing
to try to automatically correct the problem (for instance by exiting the
program
and then restarting it).
Is there any way to catch such an error outside Netty ?

NB: In the pooled version, Tomcat was probably not ok to get at 100% CPU, so
the
error in the business part (not Netty).

HTH,

Frederic