Netty 3.1.0.CR1 released: Large Data Streaming, HTTP Performance, and Javadoc

"이희승 (Trustin Lee)" trustin at gmail.com
Mon Jun 22 22:20:39 EDT 2009

Hi community,

Netty 3.1.0.CR1, the first release candidate of 3.1 branch, has been
released.

The Netty project is an effort to provide an asynchronous, event-driven
network application framework and tools for rapid development of
maintainable, high-performance, high-scalability protocol servers and
clients.

In other words, Netty is a NIO client server framework that enables
quick and easy development of network applications such as protocol
servers and clients. It simplifies and streamlines network programming
such as TCP and UDP socket servers.

Please visit our web site to download it:

  * http://www.jboss.org/netty/

As always, your feed back is more than appreciated.  Please visit the
discussion forum and leave some comments and questions:

  * http://www.jboss.org/netty/community.html

Alternatively, please follow us at Twitter and send a message:

  * http://twitter.com/netty_project

Success Story - 100,000 Concurrent HTTP Connections
Amir Aslihefendic was able to write a Comet server in just 1 day with
Netty, after evaluating many alternatives.  His server is now serving
100,000 concurrent HTTP connections at Plurk.com.  For more stories,
read his post: http://tinyurl.com/kpnjne

Do you have a story to share with us about Netty?  Then please do not
hesitate to contact us - such a story will make my day!

Complete Javadoc
================
As promised, this release includes full Javadoc for all public and
protected methods.  Any new features added in 3.1 should be easier to
use now.  I believe the documentation can be even better with your
ongoing feed back.  Please feel free to contact us if the documentation
does not tell you what you want to know about Netty or if it could be
better organized.

Large Data Streaming
====================
Writing a large file or stream in a non-blocking asynchronous framework
requires somewhat complex state management because asynchronous writes
can lead to buffer overrun and OutOfMemoryError.  Therefore, data
streaming was a highly demanded feature by the community.  This release
introduces ChunkedWriteHandler which makes large media streaming easier
than ever.  HTTP static file server has been added as an example:
http://tinyurl.com/n95or2

HTTP Performance Improvements
=============================
The performance of HTTP decoder has been improved even further.  It is
expected for most HTTP applications to experience about 10% performance
boost, although your mileage may vary.

Proxy Server Example
====================
One of the most frequently asked questions is 'how do I write a proxy
server with Netty?'  Because proxy server mixes the server-side and
client-side terms for explanation, there is higher chance of confusion
during the conversation.  So, I wrote a working proxy example.  Enjoy:
http://tinyurl.com/qq7ghu

Upcoming Releases
=================
The next release will be 3.1.0.GA with higher stability.  Please keep us
updated with any bugs, design issues, API usability feed back, and
questions.

Miscellaneous
For the full changelog, please visit here:

  * http://tinyurl.com/qh786q

Again, as always, your feed back is more than appreciated.  Please visit
the discussion forum and feel free to leave some comments and questions:

  * http://www.jboss.org/netty/community.html

Alternatively, please follow us at Twitter and send a message:

  * http://twitter.com/netty_project

Cheers,