Pipeline Help

B.L. Zeebub roger.varley at googlemail.com
Thu Aug 26 08:00:29 EDT 2010

Hi

Are there upstream versions of LengthFieldBasedFrameDecoder and
OneToOneEncoder?

I have a netty client that sits between a Netty Server and a remote device
attached to the serial port of the machine that the Netty Client runs on.
When the Server detects a connection it starts to send binary diagnostic
commands to the client. The client uses the LengthFieldBasedFrameDecoder and
the OneToOneDecoder to assemble and convert the binary data into pre-defined
messages, which the client examines to determine whether or not to send the
data onto the serial port. (The server sends commands that are either for
the remote device or for configuring the behaviour of the client)

When the remote device responds over the serial port, it too responds with a
binary stream that I'm currently writing directly to the channel to the
Server which uses the same technique to reassemble the messages and decide
what it wants.

This is working fine.

The problem is that a lot of what the remote device sends back is not needed
by the server, so rather than sending regardless and allow the server to
drop/keep what it needs, I'm trying to implement the writeRequested() method
on the client to decide if I need to send the data. However to do this I
first need to assemble and convert the binary data that's been written to
the channel into a message object I can use.

I have no idea how to configure this!

Regards