HTTP Snoop example breaks under not very much stress.

Rob Grzywinski rgrzywinski at yahoo.com
Thu Jun 9 10:39:54 EDT 2011

Sounds similar to:
 http://lists.jboss.org/pipermail/netty-users/2010-January/001856.html
 --
Rob Grzywinski

________________________________
To: netty-users at lists.jboss.org

 I fired up the HTTP "snoop" example from the Netty source as follows:
MAVEN_OPTS="-verbose:gc" mvn
-Dexec.mainClass=org.jboss.netty.example.http.snoop.HttpServer
-Dmaven.test.skip=true compile -Dskip-enforce=true exec:java

Then got ApacheBench to hit it with 15,000 requests at a concurrency of 800
as so:
ab -c 800 -n 15000 http://localhost:8080/test

This tends to result in either ApacheBench exiting early with:
apr_socket_recv: Connection reset by peer (104)
Total of 14991 requests completed

Or it succeeding but with a really bad 99th percentile performance:
Percentage of the requests served within a certain time (ms)
  50%      8
  66%      8
  75%      8
  80%      9
  90%     14
  95%     21
  98%     53
  99%   3017
100%   4813 (longest request)

In some cases the 99% and upwards can be over 10 seconds.

Is there something wrong with that example code that can be fixed? Netty has
interested me for a particularly high performance service that I'm working
on, but those numbers are worrying me somewhat that under really high load
it might get a few orders of magnitude worse.