Fronting Netty with a Servlet Engine

salilsurendran at gmail.com salilsurendran at gmail.com
Tue May 17 13:10:59 EDT 2011

Hello Friends,
   I know this question has been asked a hundred times and I know that it is
possible to use Netty withing a servlet engine. We are trying to build an
application that will support a large load of data transfer with acceptable
performance and memory consumption. I have been planning to use Netty as a
lightweight container however, we require digest authentication and HTTP
support. So we decided to use Netty within tomcat where Spring Security will
be used for authentication. So basically we use Netty to create connection
to the backend cloud storage server but finally when it comes to returning
back the data to the client we have to go through the
HttpServletResponse.getOutputStream() method. I was wondering if by going
this route we are completely nullifying any performance gains we are getting
by using Netty. I must say that Netty performed really well in our prototype
when it came to memory consumption, however I was wondering how Tomcat NIO
compares to that?