[resteasy-dev] i18n issues?

Ron Sigal rsigal at redhat.com
Fri Sep 2 17:20:15 EDT 2016

Hey Alessio,

Those i18n profiles are used to test logging in the presence of a
non-default locale. In particular, the tests set a locale which brings
in message bundles from src/main/resources. Most of the time, the
bundles live in src/test/resources because they are purely for testing
and shouldn't ship in the jars. Notice the presence of

>             <plugin>
> <artifactId>maven-clean-plugin</artifactId>
>                 <configuration>
>                     <filesets>
>                         <fileset>
> <directory>src/main/resources</directory>
>                             <includes>
> <include>org/**</include>
>                             </includes>
>                         </fileset>
>                     </filesets>
>                 </configuration>
>             </plugin>

in Resteasy/pom.xml, which cleans up the bundles whenever mvn clean is
executed.

One other issue, by the way, is the fact that, as far as I can tell,
setting a default locale in a JVM can't be reversed. The i18n tests use
multiple default locales, e.g., "en" and "xx", to bring in different
message bundles, so they need separate JVMs. That's why the i18n
profiles set

>                     <plugin>
> <artifactId>maven-surefire-plugin</artifactId>
>                        <configuration>
> <reuseForks>false</reuseForks>
>                         </configuration>
>                     </plugin>

<reuseForks/> to false.

These i18n profiles have been sitting there quietly for quite a while
now. They were added mostly to test that I did the i18n conversion
properly. Since then, there hasn't really been any reason to run them,
except, maybe every couple of years, we add a new log message. ;-)

Or, in Latin, mea culpa. Hope that helps.

-Ron

--
My company's smarter than your company (unless you work for Red Hat)