[resteasy-dev] resteasy jax-rs fail fast on entity validation exception

Ron Sigal rsigal at redhat.com
Fri Oct 27 11:42:53 EDT 2017

Hi John,

I haven't drilled into this yet, but it reminds me of something which
might be relevant. I remember working on an issue, the details of which
I forget but probably related to validation, in which I was also seeing
nondeterministic behavior. In particular, sometimes I was seeing an
object in the form of a Weld proxy, and at other times the same object
was showing up as an EJB proxy. I don't remember the outcome of the
issue, but I think I never found an explanation for the behavior. Maybe
something to do with timing as the application was installed?

-Ron

On 10/27/2017 03:03 AM, John O'Hara wrote:

> Thank you for your responses. If I fill you in on a bit of background
> about what I have experienced, then it might help clarify the issue I
> see.
>

> Background
>

> I am running a JEE benchmark on EAP7.1 (using resteasy 3.0.24.Final).
> One of rest endpoints has a @Valid annotation on a method parameter
> for a complex object.
>

> @POST
>
> @Path("/foo")
>
> @Consumes(MediaType.APPLICATION_JSON)
>
> public void addFoo(@Valid Foo bar) throws Exception {
>

> The Foo class contains different validation annotations, such as
> @NotNull, @Size, @Pattern and a custom validation annotation.
>

> One test determines how WF/EAP handles invalid requests. When I invoke
> the endpoint above I see a non-deterministic response from the app
> server.  If I invoke the endpoint with an invalid json object I
> receive a HTTP 400 exception as expected, but if I invoke the endpoint
> with a valid object, and *then* invoke the endpoint with an invalid
> object I receive a HTTP 500 error.
>

> This exception only occurs on some property validation annotations and
> not all (e.g. @NotNull works as expected)
>

> The test is being run in the context of CDI, and the HTTP 500 error is
> coming from the ejb3 subsystem. The ejb3 subsystem is wrapping the
> ConstraintValidationException raised by hibernate-validator.
>

> Observations
>

> In the call stack I capture [1], and WF thread dump [2] I can see;
>

> 1.
>
>     The test is run in the context of CDI. The HTTP 500 response code
>     message is caused by the ejb3 subsystem wrapping a
>     ConstraintValidationException raised by hibernate-validator
>

> 2.
>
>     The validator is not called in
>     ResourceMethodInvoker.invokeOnTarget() [3] as isValidatable is
>     false [4], a ResteasyViolationException is not thrown
>

> 3.
>
>     The request is validated again here [5], the validation exceptions
>     are not acted upon in this method call and the reflected method
>     (which happens to be the Foo class constructor) is called here [6]
>

> Questions
>

> 1.
>
>     Why is ResourceMethodInvoker.isValidatable false in WF/EAP?
>
> 2.
>
>     If isValidatable is false, and validation occurs again at
>     MethodInjectorImpl.invoke() can we not check for validation errors
>     and raise the correct exception there as well?
>

> I have a standalone test that I will clean up and push out. There are
> some aspects of the test that can not be published publicly, so I need
> to modify them first.
>

> Thanks,
>

> John
>

> [1] - see failing_4.stack
>
> [2] - see WF_stackTrace.out
>
> [3] -
> [...]

My company's smarter than your company (unless you work for Red Hat)