[rules-dev] Drools running in Google App Engine

Paul Browne paulb at firstpartners.net
Mon Jan 17 16:11:04 EST 2011

@Mark

Hope married life is treating you well (yep, it's been that long!)

The code that I'm using to Package up the Drools Rules is at the link below.
Pretty much just serializing the KnowledgeBase to a file, that is later read
in via a URL when it is deployed on App Engine ; Encountered plenty of
java.io.File restrictions, but no problems at all around the bytecode (at
the moment the code is generated within Eclipse, using the GAE plugin, which
modifies Java not Rule code after the normal compile) .

http://code.google.com/p/red-piranha/source/browse/trunk/src/net/firstpartners/drools/PreCompileRuleBuilder.java

Will try to package create a patch using GIT - give me a couple of days to
figure that out!

@salaboy
It's a very basic feature set at the moment; Just rule load, insert facts,
globals and get output.

The online  sample loads a spreadsheet, rules fire that update the
spreadsheet, marks the changed cells in Orange.  I have the simple sample
deployed as of today (17th Jan '11) - might take down or modify later).

Original Spreadsheet;
http://red-piranha.appspot.com/spreadsheet/chocolate-data.xls
Rules file;
http://red-piranha.appspot.com/spreadsheet/log-then-modify-rules.drl
Run the sample online; http://red-piranha.appspot.com/ - check out the 'log'
tab in the spreadsheet to see what rules have fired.

Red-Piranha project aim is to make the power of Drools available to Excel
users *without* Java code. Number 1 complaint about my book was the 'techie
setup bit' in Chapter 2 (remember the audience was Excel power users);
Deploying online allows people to try without the setup.

So, most of the features I want to add will be case-by-case as needed by the
samples. It would be *cool* to compile the rules online; When I tried this
12 months ago there were problems with the Apache Mvel library so I may be
brave enough to try again later, but current priority is to get the Core /
Runtime  changes submitted as a JIRA patch.

Paul