[rules-users] Need Design Inputs

shanmu shanmu_tp at yahoo.com
Sat Aug 4 08:42:14 EDT 2007

Hi,

We are currenlty working on a new assignment
where we have a requirement where some mapping
details are available such as

A-->B-->C-->D

The relationship goes like this A has multiple
values of B.Combination of A and B has multiple
values for C and finally combination of A,B,C has
multiple values of D.

User on selecting A the system needs to display
the list of B and selecting a value of B from the
list system displays the lsit of C and so on.
All the request needs to contacts a web service
for retreiving the values.

Based on the anlaysis we have close to around 30K
combination of A,B,C,D.

People adviced me to use Drools for this by
maintainning the combination in rules (DRL) files
is it ideal for using Drools for this kinda
scenario.

I could well achieve the same requirement with a
dynamic query built and fetch the values from
database for each combination.

I feel using Drools would increase the
development time a lot.Also from a maintenance
perspective it might consume lots of effort.

Can anyone advice me what to use? also please let
me know the PRO's and Cons if any?

Thanks
Best Regards
shanmu