[rules-users] Guided DRL editor

kissro at lidp.com kissro at lidp.com
Thu Aug 16 15:27:26 EDT 2007

Hello,

I am new to JBoss rules and was wondering if someone could explain how
to get started with the new Guided DRL Editor.  I'm using Drools 4.0 and
the Eclipse IDE.  I've clicked on 'New Guided DRL editor' in Eclipse and
it's created the rules.brxml file.  The editor is on the screen showing
'If', 'Then', and 'Options' but it's blank.  I've selected the 'If' and
clicked on little screen with the '+' on the right side of the editor.
A dialog box opens with 'Add a New Condition' and a drop down box for
'Fact' but the only option in the drop down box is 'Choose a Fact'.
I've also selected 'Then' and clicked on little screen with the '+' on
the right side of the editor.  A dialog box opens with 'Add a New
Action' and several drop down boxes.  The only option in all of the
drop down boxes is 'Choose'.

How do I get these boxes populated?  I've already got several existing
rules coded and I thought they would show up in the editor but they
don't.  Do I have to code the rules in Java before I can use the editor?
According to what I've read, this is supposed to be a point-and-click
way of creating rules but so far I haven't seen that.  I was hoping to
be able to use the editor as sort of a gui for creating or modifying my
rules but haven't been able to figure out how to do that.  Any help
would be appreciated.

Rod