[rules-users] debugging with 3.1M1 IDE?

Kris Verlaenen kris.verlaenen at cs.kuleuven.be
Fri Feb 23 08:13:19 EST 2007

> When I've stopped at a breakpoint in my project the "Working Memory" and
> "Agenda" views are empty.
> I've tried with a clean install of Eclipse 3.2.1 and they're still both
> empty.
Are you talking about standard java breakpoints in your java code or rule
breakpoints? Rule breakpoints should always show the working memory and
agenda.  When using standard java breakpoints, the views only show something
if a WorkingMemory variable has been selected in the variables view.

> ... whereas when creating a project from scratch (i.e. importing 3.1-M1
> jars manually) the variable names show as "arg0" through "arg1",
> "arg2" etc. I am also shown some additional objects
> "DefaultKnowledgeHelper" and "DefaultFactHandle". Is this a consequence of
> ShadowFacts?
Did you change something in the compiler settings so that variable names are
preserved in the class files?  The IDE should filter out those additional
objects (as they are caused by the way it is implemented and usually not
relevant when debugging) based on their name, but seems like the names of
the variables have been reset to defaults.

If possible, could you send me a self-contained eclipse project (you don't
have to include drools jar or dependencies of course) that is experiencing
these problems and a way to reproduce them? I'll then see what I can do,
because I can't determine the problem based on this explanation alone.

Kris