[rules-users] BRMS: Evaluation: JBoss Rules 3.2?

Anstis, Michael (M.) manstis1 at ford.com
Mon Jan 22 10:28:47 EST 2007

Hi,

I'm evaluating BRMS's for a new project at work.

JBoss Rules today swung into pole position however I am unclear on a
number of features. I wonder whether this user-group can help?

I list a number of aspects I "think" are currently missing in JBoss
Rules together with my thoughts: If anybody can clarify the position,
provide alternatives or help push JBoss Rules I'd be pleased to hear!

*	We require ruleflow (where rules run sequentially; like
"identify all machines X" then "calculate prices" - not perhaps a good
illustration as this could be written as one rule "calculate all prices
using machine XXX"!!!). Ideally "dynamic" ruleflow is required too -
where the next rule in a sequence is determined by the outcome of a
preceding rule (I have seen dynamic achieved with "trigger" Facts
asserted as the RHS of rules however our "Business Users" cannot be
expected to author rules following this design pattern. I have also seen
static implemented with salience). Is ruleflow (static or dynamic) part
of 3.2 - otherwise we'll need to categorise rules having different types
fired throughout a "coded" process in Java.

*	A J2EE runtime to provide scalability of the RETE engine. We
need to have the engine being shared across sessions on a web-server.
What experiences have others had? Do you simply provide a working memory
instance per session (how does this scale horizontally?). I also read
that an Application Server runtime would be part of 3.2, is this true?

*	A rule authoring environment for end-users. I read on Mark
Proctor's blogg that this is in development but is it set for inclusion
in 3.2 and does it handle DSL too; otherwise we'd have to write out own?

With kind regards,

Michael Anstis
Next Generation Estimating System
* Trafford House (Int) 8 718 2239
* Trafford House (Ext) +44 (0)1268 702239
* <mailto:manstis1 at ford.com>