[rules-users] Few rules, many facts

Yuri de Wit ydewit at gmail.com
Mon Jul 23 22:04:34 EDT 2007

I am working on a drools application with few rules and large number
of facts. In my first design I tried to avoid excessive joins thinking
I was helping improve performance but didnt realized that I was
actually shooting myself in the foot. I was basically creating a
single facade-fact that would contain two or three diff concerns
joined under the same interface. The problem I am seeing is that for
simple things like changing the status of one of many facts would
cause that fact to be reevaluated against all the other facts.

I then realized that thinking relationally about the problem would not
only simplify my solution but also probably make a lot faster.
However, in this new and relational solution I will need to make use
of many "not" CE.

My question is: is there any cost in using "not"s that I should be
awae of? Any other words of wisdom re: improving the performance in
small rules x many facts?

thanks,
-- yuri