[rules-users] JBoss Drools 4.0 Released

Mike Brock cbrock at redhat.com
Wed Jul 25 09:45:42 EDT 2007

Congrats everyone!

On 25-Jul-07, at 5:04 AM, Mark Proctor wrote:

> JBoss Drools 4.0 has just been released :) We are really proud of
> what we have done here. We believe that we now have the best and
> most powerful declarative rule language, bar none; commercial or
> open source. The Rule Flow is excellent and I really enjoyed
> updating the Conway's Game of Life to Rule Flow; sub Rule Flows and
> milestone support will be coming in a point release soon. The BRMS
> has long been requested and we put a lot of effort into the ajax
> based design. The Eclipse improvements for the  debug points and
> guided editor should help reduce learning curves, opening us to new
> audiences. Of course performance is now much better, especially for
> complex rules and the new Sequential Mode should be very popular
> with decision services.
>
> Boss Drools 4.0 can be summarised as:
> * More expressiveness.
> * More powerful declarative keywords.
> * Hibernate ready, with 'from' keyword for evaluating external data.
> * Pluggable dialects, with new MVEL dialect.
> * New Rule Flow and Eclipse modeller.
> * Better Performance.
> * IDE Improvements.
> * Enterprise Ready with Web 2.0 Business Rules Management Studio.
>
> Resources:
> * Presentation from Skills Matter http://wiki.jboss.org/wiki/attach?
> page=JBossRules%2FSkillsMatter20070711.pdf
> * What's new in JBoss Rules 4.0 http://wiki.jboss.org/wiki/attach?
> page=JBossRules%2Fwhats_new_in_jbossrules_4.0.pdf
>
> Enjoy :)
> The Drools Team
> Mark Proctor, Michael Neale, Edson Tirelli, Kris Verlaenen,
> Fernando Meyer
> http://blog.athico.com
>
> Here is a more detailed enhancements list:
> Language Expressiveness Enhancements
> * New Conditional Elements: from(hibernate ready), collect,
> accumulate and forall
> * New Field Constraint operators: not matches, not contains, in,
> not in, memberOf, not memberOf
> * New Implicit Self Reference field: this
> * Full support to Conditional Elements nesting, for First Order
> Logic completeness.
> * Support to multi-restrictions and constraint connectives && and ||
> * Parser improvements to remove previous language limitations, like
> character escaping and keyword conflicts
> * Support to pluggable dialects and built-in support to Java and MVEL
> * Complete rewrite of DSL engine, allowing for full l10n
> * Fact attributes auto-vivification for return value restrictions
> and inline-eval constraints
> * Support to nested accessors, property navigation and simplified
> collection, arrays and maps syntax
> * Improved support to XML rules
> * Experimental Clips parser support
>
> Core Engine Enhancements
> * Native support to primitive types, avoiding constant autoboxing
> * Transparent optional Shadow Facts
> * Rete Network performance improvements for complex rules
> * Rule-Flow
> [...]

Mike Brock
Senior Software Engineer
Red Hat, Inc. (JBoss Division)
cbrock at redhat.com

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTE: This message is intended only for the
designated recipient(s). It may contain confidential or proprietary
information and may be subject to the attorney-client privilege or
other confidentiality protections. If you are not a designated
recipient, you may not review, copy or distribute this message. If
you receive this in error, please notify the sender by reply e-mail
and delete this message. Thank you.