[rules-users] Does the Rete Graph recognize associations independently?

Arjun Dhar dhar_ar at yahoo.com
Mon Jul 30 01:35:15 EDT 2007

Hi,
 one doubt I've had while writing DRL scripts and also with others is:

A {
 B b
 C c
 D d
};

If The rules are to be Written over A, B, C
Then should one assert B, C & D also? ---> Answer yes!

Ok, now that we've asserted them, in the Rule if one uses:
A.b; does the Rete graph recognize it as a node of A or B?
I suspect it is 'A'

Hence...
I take a safe approach and write rules on B,C independently but then ensure
those objects are reverse associated with A. This increases the risk of objects
not being released for GC (depends on JVM) if not nullified (and breaking the
circular associations).

So whats the best approach in designing objects for the Engine?

Thanks,
Arjun