[rules-users] Operators

Edson Tirelli tirelli at post.com
Sat Jun 16 09:38:33 EDT 2007

   Yuri,

   As Mark said, operators are not pluggable right now. If you think you can
help providing a patch to make them pluggable, I can help you find the way.
   Also, on the same topic, version 4.0 has a lot of improvements on type
coercion, so you will probably stop seeing problems like comparing shorts
and integers, as you mentioned.

    Regards,
      Edson

2007/6/16, Mark Proctor <mproctor at codehaus.org>:

> We've have plans for pluggeable operators, just no time to implement
> them, maybe in the next release :)
>
> Mark
> Yuri de Wit wrote:
> > I am using JBoss Rules 3.0.6 and in many situations I was forced to
> > use a Java snipped predicates ( p.property -> ( fn.doSomething(p, a))
> > which clutters the rules quite a bit ) to override or correct the
> > behaviour of some of the operators such as ==, !=, etc. It would be
> > nice if there was an easy way for me to override them by providing my
> > own implementation. I could then subclass the default one provided by
> > JBoss Rules and customized the ones I need.
> >
> > I know that this sugestiong would allow us to modify the semantic of
> > the rules language operators but it at least would provide a nice way
> > out of issues (such as using == between a Short and a Integer) we come
> > accross, could help debugging predicate evaluations (I guess I could
> > always add a breakpoint to a specific class from the rules engine -
> > which class?).
> >
> > On the same topic would it be possible to add new operators to the
> > language?
> >
> > thanks,
> > -yuri

  Edson Tirelli