[rules-users] How to stop a rule from firing?

Steven Williams stevearoonie at gmail.com
Thu Jun 21 19:18:55 EDT 2007

One simple way is:

      [when] condition3 = not condition2 && \\someCondition;
      [then] assert the Object2 into Working Memory;

      [when] condition4 = not condition2 && \\someCondition;
      [then] Set the Error Message.

Generally you should keep your rules independent of each other.

If this is just a naive example of a more complex problem maybe you should
look at the RuleFlow (in v4) or agenda groups.

On 6/22/07, McShiv <rajesh_sachin10 at yahoo.co.in> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am using Drools 3.0.6. The rule is given below.
>
> Rule:
>
>       [when] condition1 = \\someCondition;
>       [then] assert the Object1 into Working Memory;
>
>       [when] condition2 = \\someCondition;
>       [then] set the Error Message.
>
>       [when] condition3 = \\someCondition;
>       [then] assert the Object2 into Working Memory;
>
>       [when] condition4 = \\someCondition;
>       [then] Set the Error Message.
>
> By requirement is when the condition2 is satisfied, the error code should
> be
> set and the following rules should not fire. If the condition2 is not
> satisfied, it goes to the condition3 and condition4. If condition4
> satisfies, it should set the error code and stop firing the rules again.
>
> I dont know how to stop the rules from firing after the error code is set
> in
> the condition2.
>
> Can someone help me on this issue.
>
> Thanks & Regards
> McShiv.........

Steven Williams

Supervising Consultant

Object Consulting
Office: 8615 4500 Mob: 0439 898 668 Fax: 8615 4501
stevenw at objectconsulting.com.au
www.objectconsulting.com.au

consulting | development | training | support
our experience makes the difference