[rules-users] Rules for Hierarchical Type Calculation Formulas

Don Cameron Don.Cameron at gov.ab.ca
Thu Nov 8 18:28:03 EST 2007

We have been using a custom rules engine successfully for our 1000+

rules for our student loans application, but these rules are decision

based types rules (if then else).

For assessing loan amounts for our student loan application, we have

over 400+ calculation formulas plus decision logic.  These formulas are

mostly simple:

TotalEligilbleLoanAmount = Min(TotalNeed - TotalResource,

MaxAllowedAmount)

      TotalNeed = Tuition + LivingAllowance + ChildCareExpenses

            ChildCareExpenses = NumberOfChildren * PerChildAmount

      TotalResource = EmploymentEarnings + Scholarships + Assets

(however there are 400+ formulas and the hierarchy gets up to 20 deep)

Is it possible to implement something like this in Drools? Will it be

maintainable and performant?

Thanks

Don

This communication is intended for the use of the recipient to which it is addressed, and may contain confidential, personal, and or privileged information. Please contact us immediately if you are not the intended recipient of this communication, and do not copy, distribute, or take action relying on it. Any communication received in error, or subsequent reply, should be deleted or destroyed.