[rules-users] Drools, RCP, and Eclipse 3.3

Mark Proctor mproctor at codehaus.org
Sat Oct 20 17:36:10 EDT 2007

J Michael Dean wrote:
> I am trying to utilize Drools in an RCP, and have been getting errors
> relating to not finding the jdt core.  I have attempted to use the
> snapshot but with no difference.  So to work around this, am planning
> to build my rules into a package outside my RCP, and then I won't need
> the drools compiler which I assume is dependent on the jdt.
>
> In the examples, however, I cannot find (I have looked) an example
> that does not compile the drl on the fly.  I can try to use BRMS
> eventually, but I want an application that can check to see if it has
> a connection to a BRMS repository, and if not, will revert to using a
> local rules file.
>
> I have two questions - one is whether I am on the right track, or if I
> simply have to wait until Drools is fully usable with 3.3.  Two is
> whether someone can direct me to an example that will point the way.
I haven't confirmed yet but I think there may be a bug in the
dependencies stuff. While you can select different dialects it seems
that whether you selected jdt or janino it must have one or the other in
the classpath - which of course is not correct, if you are using the
MVEL dialect for everything. If you find this to be the case. Someone
has already opened a jar for this, so watch this jar for when it will be
fixed and for which versions.
http://jira.jboss.org/jira/browse/JBRULES-1230