[rules-users] .jar with source - bad magic number error

Rick Lacy jrlacy at gmail.com
Thu Mar 13 09:38:10 EDT 2008

I've sent this to JIRA, too, but I haven't seen this documented anywhere and
just thought I'd throw it out there in case anyone else has the same
problem...

I'm using version 4.0.4 of the BRMS.  I'm running RAD 7.0.0.5 (based on
Eclipse 3.2.2 I believe), which runs Websphere 6.1.x.  I've noticed an issue
with uploading the model to the BRMS.  It's supposed to be possible to
include resources other than .class files in a .jar; in particular there's
an option to include the corresponding .java source files.  The BRMS works
fine for me if I try to upload a .jar with only .class files, but if I try
to upload one with source included, I get the dreaded
java.lang.ClassFormatError: … bad magic number at offset=0 exception.  The
model might look like it's uploaded ok, but any attempt to validate header
information or generated DRL source will yield this exception.  It's not
that bad to just strip out the source on .jar files I have, but it would be
even nicer if I didn't have to ;)

Thanks!

Rick