[rules-users] Sessions, WorkingMemory, Long lived facts

Edson Tirelli tirelli at post.com
Mon Oct 13 16:01:01 EDT 2008

   If I understood your question,

   Drools 4 -> use "from" to load them on demand for your rules
   Drools 5 -> you can do the same, or create a session, pre-load it and
serialize it to disk or an in-memory binary cache... now, for each request
from your application, instead of creating a new session, de-serialize the
session from your disk (or in-memory cache) and use it. Please note that you
are doing nothing more than clone-by-serialization for the preloaded
session, if you use this strategy.

   []s
   Edson

2008/10/13 David Sinclair <dsinclair at chariotsolutions.com>

> I have a question concerning facts. I have a service based application
>
> XML IN -> Business Objects -> Rule Processing -> Business Objects -> XML
> OUT
>
> Pretty straightforward.
> In the rule processing I will lazily load objects into WorkingMemory that
> drive some of the business rules. For instance, if a new Windows
> Server(Business Object) is installed, ensure its OS is only Windows Server
> 2007 (lazily loaded DB object).
>
> What I would like to do is be able to either preload the working memory
> with this data, or preferably, lazily load the data. So my question is how
> do you place facts into working memory when you create a new session each
> time without having to assert them everytime? Or this that a stupid
> question...Should the question be, since working memory/sessions aren't
> thread safe, i.e. one can't be shared by everyone, what is the best way to
> place long lived facts into memory of all sessions?
>
> thanks
>
> dave

 Edson Tirelli
 JBoss Drools Core Development