[rules-users] KnowledgeBase threadsafe?

Dan Seaver dan.seaver at ge.com
Thu Apr 30 17:24:40 EDT 2009

I'm using various KnowledgeBase objects in a J2EE environment, using JBoss
4.2 as the application server. Currently, I keep a list of KnowledgeBase
objects in a stateless session bean. The thought being that to keep the
application scalable, we don't want contention around rule sessions.

However, I just heard that KnowledgeBase is thread safe. This would mean
that I could instantiate a KnowledgeBase once and have multiple
StatelessKnowledgeSessions using it concurrently.

Can anyone verify that KnowledgeBase is thread safe for me?
Would this technique potentially cause contention on a busy system?

Dan