[rules-users] Regarding Drools Rules Engine

Leonardo Gomes leonardo.f.gomes at gmail.com
Thu Dec 3 00:39:55 EST 2009

Hi Ravi,

I'll quote Greg Barton on a recent post here:
*
*

> *You can also implement various listeners, (WorkingMemoryListener,
> AgendaEventListener, and other such goodies in package org.drools.event)
> register them with your session, and make assertions over the execution data
> they gather.  You can track such things as:
>
> Did rule A fire?  How many times?
>
> Did rule A fire on fact B?
>
> You can even go down to the level of "did rule sequence A fire in the right
> order?" assertions, but usually such tests are too brittle, and miss the
> point of rules anyway. :)*

My other answers are below.

Leo.

2009/12/2 Anupindi RaviShankar <iamravi79 at gmail.com>

> Hi All,
>
> We are evaluating Drools rules engine for one of the clients. The client
> has given some parameters based on which evaluation needs to be done.
> We were not able to get this information from Drools site. So need your
> help in getting this information.
>
> • Number of transactions Drools Engine can support. Can it support around
> 1-1.5 million transactions.

** I'd say it will depend on the characteristics of your system: complexity
of rules, # of rules, # of facts, if you'll use stateless or stateful
sessions, etc. You could also have a look here:
http://www.jessrules.com/guidelines.shtml. Even if it's not drools-specific,
it applies for rule engines in general.

> • How can we introduce enforcement levels, overriding authority etc.?

** I think you're talking about something drools call "salience" and
"agenda-groups" here. Look for these words in the docs.

> • How can the controlling class get to know which rule was fired and which
> was overridden ?

** Go to the beginning of my answer.

> • Does the rule engine support the tracking of different rule types?

** I don't exactly what you'd like to achieve, but I think the different
listeners could help you with that.

> Can you please provide your updates on the same.
>
> Thanks
> Ravi

Cheers,
Leo.